Sparking joy is the latest craze to sweep many households. But applying a bit of spark joy to your pantry could also seriously improve the way you eat. Here’s how to do it:
1.Start by removing everything from your pantry and cleaning all of the shelves, storage baskets, bins and containers.
2. Toss any items that are past their used by and best before dates. Make note of the items that you bin if you plan on replacing it.
3. Toss anything you will not use, like the items you keep ‘just in case.’ Think old protein shakes, canned food you’ll never eat, dented cans, any bulk items that you’re unsure when you bought them or when they expire. If it is unopened and in date then you could consider donating it. If it is opened but you won’t use it – then toss it!
Tip: if you have small pantry, stack items or containers in a U shape fashion around the sides of the pantry with the tallest items at the back and smaller items in the middle. This will give you better visibility as to what is in your pantry.
4. Organise goods in your pantry according to a grocery store. Have sections for breakfast foods, grains, canned food and so forth.
5. Where possible store items in labelled, air tight containers such as jars or plastic containers. This will help to keep the food fresh but also aid with stacking items in an organised way. Bins and under shelf baskets can also be great options depending on the type of space you have to play with. Try to use the same style of containers in each section as it will make them easier to stack.
6. Place ‘sometimes’ foods in opaque containers so they are not readily visible every time you open the door to your food space.
For 5 more simple ways to eat healthier today see this article.
Paula is a trained Dietitian working to provide ideas and information to make healthy eating easy! Check her out on Instagram here.